If “The Spoils of War” brought the fire, “Beyond the Wall” brought fans North to experience the ice. For a battle location like no other, both Game of Thrones armorer Tommy Dunne and costume designer Michele Clapton had new challenges and inspirations. “Every year we say, ‘It can’t get any bigger,’ ” shares Dunne, “and of course it gets bigger.”
Two stand-out pieces from the episode are Gendry’s warhammer — wielded by the Hound — and Daenerys’ winter coat. Dunne is happy with the final look of the hammer: “It’s a good, strong design.” He explains the weapon’s detailing is meant to reflect Gendry’s bloodline: “It has the House Baratheon design sculpted, with the stag sigil on either side.”
As for Dany’s coat, Clapton wanted to keep the look in the same shape as the Mother of Dragon’s other outfits this season. “It was just extraordinary,” Clapton says of the garment. “We created the fabric in the work room. It’s such a strong look for riding the dragon through the snow.”
Click on the props and costumes below for a closer look.
More from "Beyond the Wall":
- Kristofer Hivju Has a Method for Getting in the Tormund Mood
- Richard Dormer Shares What It's Really Like to Fight with Beric's Flaming Sword
- Did You Catch This Thrones Throwback From “Beyond the Wall”?
- Here's the Letter Arya Won't Let Sansa Forget
- Go Behind the Scenes of the Frozen Lake Battle
- The Hound Makes a Grave Mistake in This Episode 6 Storyboard